21 August 2007

Waiting in Confident Humility

Jesus Calms the Storm (Matthew 8:23-27)

Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"
He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"


I just finished the book I've been reading "If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get out of the Boat" by John Ortberg. And last night, as I was ending it out, I came across a part in it that just sort of stuck out to me. In the Chapter 'Learning to Wait', he talks about how as Christians, one of the hardest things to do is wait with 'confident humility'. ('Not so much confidence in myself as confidence in the One who sustains me.') And he brings into account the story of Jesus calming the storm. And how the disciples were all quite frantic, storm lashing them about, and here we find Jesus sleeping ???
Then Pastor Ortberg says that "it 'struck (him): There was one experience Jesus never had. He had experienced virtually every human emotion - sorrow, joy, pain. He had been tired, angry and hopeful. But there was one thing he never experienced: he was never frantic. He never panicked. And in that moment I realized that God is never desperate." He goes on to say "God's voice is never frantic. When you hear desperate thoughts, you can know that it is not God speaking. You can wait in confident humility."

What a good reminder!

(And if you need a good visual with this story, go check out Dianne's most recent post! For, we seem to be on the 'same page' once again!!) :)

1 comment:

Dianne said...

You make me laugh...it really is weird, isn't it?

I really hadn't though of it that way either...that's a great realization! Thanks for posting that here...I have seen that book, I just haven't read it yet.

Thanks also for the 'plug' for my blog post today. That's cool how they kind of go hand in hand!