26 June 2006

"I will bless my people... And in the PROPER SEASON I will send the showers they need. There will be showers of blessing." Ezekiel 34:26
I can't tell you the last time it rained here. I can't remember back that far. Until today. FINALLY, the long-awaited rain hit (well, at least in certain areas, for a short amount of time). Sure, it's 'threatened' to a time or two in weeks past. 15% chance one day. 60% chance the next. 110% chance of heat and humidity ANY given day. And though today, it still wasn't quite the quencher we've really been looking for, any is better than none, when you're in the middle of a drought.

Of course, today was our designated day to take Savannah to pick blueberries at the local blueberry farm. (So, maybe we should've just scheduled that trip weeks ago, and we would've gotten the refreshing showers then, but who's to say...) We no sooner get to the driveway to the place, and it starts to rain. Big, heavy drops. Savannah starts to lose it. Who knows why. But, she insists we head right back home and nix the blueberry farm altogether.
God challenges Job in Job 38:34, "Can you shout to the clouds and make it rain?" to which the answer is, of course, "No." Well, evidently, you cannot shout to the clouds and make it stop either. Savannah tried. Relentlessly.
Thankfully, only about 5 minutes later, it eased up enough to where you could hardly see it and we finally got her out of the car. Next thing you know, she's dancing around with her bucket, singing "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head!" as well as old stand-by "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring..." Of course, by the time the lightning and thunder start drawing closer, it's all we can do to get her rounded back up to get back in the car. For not getting to stay long, we did manage to gather a good-sized bucket full of yummy berries to take back home, and some more memories for years to come.

Though Savannah is not decided on whether rain is indeed a good thing or not, I however, have always LOVED the rain. And as I end this, it just came up, a right nice little gully-washer. :) I think I'll go enjoy it while it lasts. Somebody has to. As I'm sure, for every person who loves the rain, there are probably 3 more who are complaining that it just NEVER STOPS. Even when it's desperately needed. I guess it just goes to show that you can't please everybody all the time. So, I'd say it's a good thing that God is in control and that He has a good 'thick skin' when it comes to criticism.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about Savannah not being able to shout to the clouds and make it stop. It did quit for a while, remember? :) Yesterday's rain WAS a blessing...just asky my flowers. Brings to mind Matthew 5:45...and (He) sendeth rain on the just and the unjust. I'm JUST glad He sent it on us!!!