16 January 2008

*** Yay!! ***

We actually got to see snow today, for the first time in a LONNNNG time!!! And I can't believe it takes so little of it to get us so excited anymore. ANY little bit just gets me jumping out of my skin! I LOVE it! And it was such a nice, fluffy, beautiful snow. Such a rariety here in the South.

Something not so much a rariety here in the South, however, is the 'bread and milk' mentality. You Southern born and bred know what I mean.

Now, I love "y'all" to death. I have grown to love your fried green tomatoes and cherish your sweet potato souffle. I whole-heartedly embrace your laid back way of life and sweet way of talking. But, I will never understand why, at the threat of even a flurry, you feel the compulsion to run to the nearest store to stock up on bread and milk?

I mean, first of all, this is Georgia. Even if it's the worst ice storm in years, it will most assuredly be over in 24 hours or less, will it not? And, even if not, worst case scenario, you're housebound for days and days... why bread and milk? Two of the most perishable items in your house?

Me? I'm more practical. I say a little Merlot to keep the ole body warm and a good supply of chocolate to make the time all the more enjoyable as you look out on the winter wonderland!!!

~editor's note~ By the time I've finished this post... snow has completely stopped and now just rain and slush. It may have been brief, but it was beautiful while it lasted.

8 comments:

Lyndy said...

Well this southern born and bred girl certainly knows exactly what you mean. It has been that way as long as I can remember. I like your way of thinking much, much better though. ;-)

It has stopped here too and now just messy rain and bitter cold, at least bitter cold for what we are used too.

Have a great rest of the week.

jodi said...

Funny post! I never understood the bread and milk thing either until I had kids. When mom called me yesterday and told me about the weather that was coming, my first thought was "Uh-oh, we need milk and bread." :)

Although, your idea of giving the tots some wine before bead might have given me the opportunity to sleep in on this cold, gloomy, rainy morning! Ha!

Anonymous said...

As I posted on your mom's blog, I always figured dog food and diapers (when the kids were little) were the most important things, but I like your chocolate and wine thing better!!

Michele said...

Great pictures and funny post.

Lydia said...

I loved the snow too! :) It didn't last long enough though. And I DID go to the store for a long list of stuff on Tuesday (a day before the snow), and guess what? Even on Tuesday all the skim and 1% milk was gone...not just a few left, but ALL gone! So I grabbed myself some 2% (one of 3 half gallons left) and some bread like a good little Southern girl! :)

I'm so glad to have you as a blog friend. :)

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Jess,

That snow was just lovely, slushy or not. This 'western' girl is lucky to get a flurry once every six years or so.

(What was that a picture of?)

Joanne :O)

ocean mommy said...

YES! I get the milk and bread!

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog earlier this evening! It's nice to "meet" another GA girl. :)

We've only been in Dacula a little over a year and I believe I know where Covington is! I'm so proud of myself! Some very good friends of ours live and serve at a church in Conyers which I believe is near you.

Have a very blessed weekend! Who knows, you may need to make one more bread and milk run!

Blessings
stephanie

Jaime said...

You're so funny! You know we actually had a "blizzard" in March of 1993. That is what the news anchors called it, anyway. Were you in Georgia then? The snow lasted for about 3 days, believe it or not. I don't really remember but I bet the roads were clear after 24 hours :) Anyway, after reading your post, I couldn't believe it has been 15 years since we actually had enough snow to worry.